Renewed accusations and continued distrust are threatening to sabotage a promised cease-fire involving the world’s newest country.
South Sudan, which gained independence last July, and Sudan traded allegations Friday of continued violations and attacks along their volatile border.
Southern army spokesman Philip Aguer repeated allegations made Thursday that Sudan resumed its aerial bombardments, attacking the village of Lalop, where southern forces are stationed. At the same time, Sudanese spokesman Sawarmi Khaled Saad told the French news agency, “the other side still has a presence inside our land.”
Hopes that a full-out war between the two countries could be avoided rose earlier this week after the African Union said Sudan had joined South Sudan, by accepting “in principle” an AU roadmap to resolve hostilities. Still, simmering tensions led the United Nations Security Council to deliver an ultimatum, stop the fighting by Friday or face sanctions.
International powers have also been trying to pressure both sides to end hostilities. During her visit to China Friday, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton praised Beijing for its efforts.
Clinton said, “together we need to keep sending a strong message to the government of Sudan that it must immediately and unconditionally halt all cross-border attacks, particularly its provocative aerial
Category: South Sudan News