THE Football Association of Zambia (FAZ) has said there is no need to panic over the on-going unrest between Sudan and the new independent state of South Sudan saying the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier will be played in Khartoum on June 2 as scheduled.
Media and communications manager Erick Mwanza said at a media briefing in Lusaka yesterday that the match will go ahead in Khartoum as earlier scheduled saying the capital city was free from the political unrest.
Reuters reported yesterday that weeks of border clashes have raised concerns that South Sudan and its northern neighbour could return to all-out war after failing to resolve wrangles over oil revenues, border demarcation and other issues since the south seceded last year.
The conflict has halted nearly all oil production in the region, strangling both countries’ oil dependent economies.
But Mwanza said the association was on top of things and was monitoring the situation in Sudan adding that so far, there were no indications to claim that the match would not be played because Khartoum was calm.
He said the game will not be moved to another country unless the fighting reached Khartoum and it is also discovered that the safety of the players will