KHARTOUM (AFP) – Sudan‘s army said it fought with South Sudan along the disputed border on Wednesday while the South alleged it came under Sudanese air attack, violating a four-day-old UN-imposed ceasefire.
The army in Khartoum said it had expelled South Sudanese troops and their rebel allies from two areas, Kafindibei and Kafia Kingi, in South Darfur state across from the South’s Western Bahr el-Ghazal state.
Sudan‘s foreign ministry has previously described Kafindibei and Kafia Kingi as disputed.
Earlier Wednesday, Southern army spokesman Kella Kueth said Sudan had been “randomly bombarding civilian areas,” in the border states of Upper Nile, Unity and Western Bahr el-Ghazal on Monday and Tuesday.
It was not possible to independently confirm his allegation and Sudan has repeatedly denied it has bombed the South.
South Sudan‘s army confirmed, however, that Kafindibei had been captured by Sudanese troops backed by air support on Monday.
The incident is the first confirmed violation after Khartoum and Juba both pledged to seek peace in line with a United Nations Security Council resolution which threatened sanctions if they did not cease hostilities by last Friday evening.
The UN said the situation along the Sudan-South Sudan border “constitutes a serious threat to international peace and security.”
Violation of the
Category: South Sudan News