20 April 2012
Last updated at 16:56 ET
South Sudan had said it wanted UN monitors deployed before its troops left Heglig
South Sudan‘s President Salva Kiir has ordered the withdrawal of his troops from the Heglig oil field in Sudan.
But Sudan‘s leader Omar al-Bashir later said his forces had retaken Heglig town.
South Sudanese forces captured the area last week, accusing Khartoum of using it as a base to launch attacks.
UN chief Ban Ki-moon had described the occupation as illegal and also called on Sudan to stop bombing the South.
Mr Bashir on Friday told supporters at a victory rally in Khartoum: “We thank God that he made successful your sons; and the security forces and the police force and the defence forces – he has made them victorious on this Friday.”
On state TV, his defence minister said Sudan‘s armed forces had entered Heglig 11:20 GMT.
South Sudan has so far made no public comments on Khartoum’s claim.
Category: South Sudan News