KHARTOUM — Rebels in Sudan‘s Darfur region will become victims of improved relations between Khartoum and Juba as South Sudan reduces its support for the insurgency, Darfur’s top official said on Tuesday.
In an interview with AFP, Eltigani Seisi also said security forces used excessive force last week against “innocent civilians” protesting high prices in Darfur. At least eight people were shot dead.
Seisi heads the Darfur Regional Authority set up to implement a peace deal last year between the Khartoum regime and an alliance of rebel splinter factions.
He said that although security has improved “very much” since the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur, over the past two or three months rebels outside the peace process crossed into Darfur from South Sudan to launch attacks.
“Everybody knew that they were in southern Sudan. Everybody knew that they are supported by southern Sudan,” he said, in a reference to independent South Sudan which separated in July last year.
“I think the (armed) movements must have realised that they have been used by southern Sudan to strengthen their position in Addis Ababa,” he said at his Khartoum office.
Sudan and South Sudan fought
Category: South Sudan News